Project Earth

Dear friends,

I write to you today to share with you my journey until now. I have written to you twice earlier as well but given that I haven't heard back from you, I assume that the letters haven't reached you. It has been six earth-months that I reached here and my journey has been very different than what we had foreseen - but I guess that is because our calculations were a little flawed. While we are slowly moving towards success, there seems to be some boundaries because of which we might not be able to succeed in the time frame that we imagined.

Initially, when we started our analysis, we had a firm understanding that the havoc complex organisms are creating on Earth is getting out of control. We agreed that limiting the movement would control the damage and help us revive the project. I clearly remember that we had counted all the moving organisms - irrespective of the colour, race, gender or breed - and that is when we concluded that an on-site mission was required. While we understood that not everyone interacted with everyone, the dense network gave us an impression that everyone was moving freely - the way we had designed the system to be. However, something is definitely different.

Contrary to what we had planned, I ended up in the middle of a large landmass. Nevertheless, without wasting time, I began my operations. Initially, I did not see any response. The movement seemed to be usual and organisms did not seem scared of the vitamins that I sprinkled around. However, within a couple of weeks, the experiment started to show results. The test seemed to be going at a pace that we had foreseen. Our theory that the most complex organisms would react to the vitamins and that one organism would transfer the vitamin to the other were absolutely true. With time the number of folks that our satellites reported - ones who were roaming in the open - reduced drastically. Initially, on this huge landmass, I also encountered places where different types of organisms would be available together, but later they all disappeared. There is one anomaly though. The satellite visuals showed reduced movement only in a segment of the huge landmass where I landed - instead of all movement coming to a halt - as we had imagined. 

Additionally, I sensed that few organisms here - although of the same breed as others - looked different and were less in number. I recalled reading it in fifth grade Organism Dynamics that it maybe because of different roots that these folks belonged to. In a quest to succeed in our mission, I focussed on tagging the vitamins along with these folks - assuming they would be travelling back to their homelands. Initially, I saw no reduction in movement anywhere else and I almost abandoned the mission, but suddenly a small segment of the land started to show drastic reduction in movement. A few earth-days later, I could see small clusters around the same region where movement started to stop.

While the first three months were very difficult and full of surprises, I have ensured that the vitamins reached all the major landmasses where we had initially detected movements. Do you guys remember that there was one huge section with a very high density of organisms? Surprisingly the presence of our vitamins there was very high but they hadn't stopped moving around - until one day when all of them stopped and started making noise - I was terrified that evening! Nevertheless, there has been very little movement since then.

In a retrospective, the only unknown that we need to focus on is the geographical boundaries that seem to exist among complex organisms. While they move around across all the landmasses, there is some concept of demarcation that these creatures have introduced because of which we did not witness a total standstill, but rather a staggered one.

Fortunately, however, our third project - Terra - has started to come back to life. Given the signals that I receive, it seems that the dust that was covering the surface has reduced too. The most complex organisms - who were the only threat - have reduced interacting with other organisms. With this, I hope this letter reaches you and that it finds you in good health. I also hope that the mission succeeds and that another journey by a nineteen earth-year old would not be required to fix this project.

Hope to see you soon !

Comments